Cyber Essentials is a government backed scheme that helps organisations protect themselves against the most common cyber threats and demonstrate their commitment to cyber security. It provides a clear statement of the basic controls all organisations should implement within their IT systems to reduce the risk from common internet based threats. The Cyber Essentials certification is awarded based on a verified self-assessment.
Cyber Essentials focuses on five key security controls:
- Boundary firewalls and internet gateways – devices in place designed to prevent unauthorised access to or from private networks
- Secure configuration – systems configured in the most secure way for the needs of the business
- Access control – only authorised persons can access systems and at the appropriate level
- Malware protection – virus and malware protection is installed and up-to-date
- Patch management – latest supported version of applications are used and all the necessary patches are applied.
When these controls are implemented correctly, they could prevent around 80% of cyber attacks, according to the UK government.
Cyber Essentials certification is required for companies who want to bid for government contracts which involve handling sensitive and personal information or the provision of certain technical products and services.
Hayward Miller achieved Cyber Essentials certification in August 2017. With the upcoming EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), Cyber Essentials is a great way of showing that data protection is taken seriously. It demonstrates that we are addressing cyber security effectively and have implemented the necessary controls.
Cyber Essentials is suitable for companies of all sizes in any sector.
Website – https://www.cyberessentials.ncsc.gov.uk/